Saturday, April 12, 2008

A Very Pleasant Surprise on American Idol

Hillsong Convention Centre
I don't watch American Idol as a rule. My wife had told me that night (4/9/08) the final eight contestants sang the worship song, entitled Shout to the Lord," written by Darlene Zschech. One thing was missing from the song that night, and that was the name of Jesus. I've noted that many of the songs we sing in our church (Calvary Chapel Chico) don't mention the name of Jesus specifically either, so my reaction was to marvel that God would use the most watched, secular, television program in the world, American Idol, as an instrument to get the Gospel into places that many Christians would or could never go. My thanks to God was to echo the Psalmists words, "This is the LORD's doing; it is marvellous in our eyes." - Psalm 118:23.
While I was on the computer watching the You Tube video of the previous night's performance, I could hear American Idol coming on again on the television in the next room. Then they aired another video of the group singing "Shout to the Lord", only this time the name of Jesus wasn't omitted! This is that performance (4/10/08).
Think of how this song speaks to the person who might have been contemplating taking his or her life. Or the impact of these words of hope to some down and outter who just lost everything, to hear the words, "my comfort, my shelter..." Nothing compares to the promise I have in You!"
That's the Gospel!

No comments: